Bio-statistician/ Data Scientist - Saint Charles
Company: AFB International
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: March 12, 2019
Summary This position is responsible for performing statistical analysis in support of research and development projects to advance AFB's pipeline of palatability solutions. Primary areas of emphasis are in research and manufacturing statistics including: Design of Experiments, exploratory data analysis, statistical quality control, and regression methods. You will work closely with R&D teams to help them better collect, analyze, and interpret data to optimize products and processes while also working on multidisciplinary teams to tackle technical, business or project problems via exceptional teamwork and interpersonal skills. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supports team by contributing ideas and expertise to develop experimental designs and data analysis strategies for R&D.
- Works closely with scientists by providing expertise with design of experiments for industrial applications, sample size and power calculations, data analysis, graphics, and presentation
- Support design of sampling protocols and interpretation of statistical quality control data
- Provide innovative statistical solutions to understand dog and cat taste preferences utilizing data from feeding trials, product formulations, chemical analyses, and food processing conditions.
- Design and build large and complex information sets; integrate and extract relevant information from large amounts of both structured and unstructured data to enable analytical solutions
- Lead and actively contribute to highly visible, complex projects, programs and solutions that are critical to the optimization of merchandising strategies
- Lead and conduct advanced analytics leveraging predictive modeling, simulation, optimization and other techniques to develop merchandising insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business objectives.
- Translate complex analytical and technical concepts to business stakeholders and leadership to enable understanding and drive informed business decisions
- Lead efforts to develop scalable, efficient, automated solutions for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation, and model implementation
- Actively identify new areas where Data Science can be leveraged across the organization
- Participate as a collaborator, investigator and consultant in a broad range of activities that extend across and beyond research and development. The activities include project participation, applied research and development, and educating colleagues about various statistical concepts.
- Performing meta-analysis and mining data to extract useful information from large collections of data
- Prepares technical reports and presentations of completed projects for use in further research activities internally as well as for use in external presentations and publicationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to analyze research problems to identify appropriate experimental designs for behavioral and analytical chemistry research, including power and sample size analyses.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques employed to evaluate complex datasets.
- Ability to choose the most appropriate statistical procedures to follow for a given situation based on mathematical and practical considerations.
- Knowledge of linear models, multivariate techniques such as PCA & DFA, classification models, logistic regression and canonical correlation analysis.
- Familiar with predictive modeling techniques and/or image analysis.
- Ability to extract and organize data from historical databases to then conduct exploratory analyses.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly, concisely, and understandably to non-statistical colleagues.
- Ability to extract, error-check and organize data from variety of sources for analysis and reporting.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret information in technical journals in statistics, food and pet food industry.
- Ability to perform critical reviews of technical reports and statistical documentation.
- Limited travel up to 5% may be required.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree required (Masters Degree prefered) in Statistics, Biostatistics or related field, with a solid foundation in both theoretical and applied statistics.
- 3-5 years of business experience.
- Demonstrable experience with data manipulation, modeling, and graphics in R, including dplyr, tidyr, and ggplot2.
- Experience working in a food or chemical manufacturing environment, and/or in the petfood/allied industries.
- Excellent English communication skills (written and oral) for diverse audiences
Keywords: AFB International, Saint Charles , Bio-statistician/ Data Scientist - Saint Charles, Other , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!