Bio-statistician/ Data Scientist
Company: AFB International
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: January 2, 2019
Summary: This position is responsible for performing statistical analysis in support of research and development projects to advance AFB's pipeline of palatability solutions. Primary areas of emphasis are in research and manufacturing statistics including: Design of Experiments, exploratory data analysis, statistical quality control, and regression methods.
You will work closely with R&D teams to help them better collect, analyze, and interpret data to optimize products and processes while also working on multidisciplinary teams to tackle technical, business or project problems via exceptional teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supports team by contributing ideas and expertise to develop experimental designs and data analysis strategies for R&D.
- Works closely with scientists by providing expertise with design of experiments for industrial applications, sample size and power calculations, data analysis, graphics, and presentation
- Support design of sampling protocols and interpretation of statistical quality control data
- Provide innovative statistical solutions to understand dog and cat taste preferences utilizing data from feeding trials, product formulations, chemical analyses, and food processing conditions.
- Participate as a collaborator, investigator and consultant in a broad range of activities that extend across and beyond research and development. The activities include project participation, applied research and development, and educating colleagues about various statistical concepts.
- Performing meta-analysis and mining data to extract useful information from large collections of data
-Prepares technical reports and presentations of completed projects for use in further research activities internally as well as for use in external presentations and publications
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Master's degree in Statistics or Biostatistics, with a solid foundation in both theoretical and applied statistics, or Bachelor's degree in statistics with 3 years of experience.
- Demonstrable experience with data manipulation, modeling, and graphics in R, including dplyr, tidyr, and ggplot2.
- Experience working in a food or chemical manufacturing environment.
- Excellent English communication skills (written and oral) for diverse audiences
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to analyze research problems to identify appropriate experimental designs for behavioral and analytical chemistry research, including power and sample size analyses.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques employed to evaluate complex datasets.
- Ability to choose the most appropriate statistical procedures to follow for a given situation based on mathematical and practical considerations.
- Knowledge of linear models, multivariate techniques such as PCA & DFA, classification models, logistic regression and canonical correlation analysis.
- Familiar with predictive modeling techniques and/or image analysis.
- Ability to extract and organize data from historical databases to then conduct exploratory analyses.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly, concisely, and understandably to non-statistical colleagues.
- Ability to extract, error-check and organize data from variety of sources for analysis and reporting.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret information in technical journals in statistics, food and pet food industry.
- Ability to perform critical reviews of technical reports and statistical documentation.
- Limited travel up to 5% may be required.
Keywords: AFB International, Saint Charles , Bio-statistician/ Data Scientist, Other , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!