Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: June 8, 2021
At Greenbrier, we do the hard work that matters. The Greenbrier
Companies (NYSE: GBX) is a leading designer, manufacturer and
supplier of freight rail and marine transportation equipment and
services, powering the movement of products around the world.
Greenbrier's innovation and engineering expertise pairs with our
capacity to build and repair freight transportation equipment. This
allows us to provide an unrivaled level of service to our customers
across the Americas, Europe and countries of the Gulf Cooperation
Council. Greenbrier also provides asset management services and a
unique railcar leasing syndication platform that brings us into
contact with the world's leading fixed asset investors.
Greenbrier's heritage of hard work and industrial innovation is
celebrated at every level of our organization. We structure our
business to support teams that deliver innovative solutions for our
customers and positively impact the world around us. SUMMARY
The overall responsibility of this position is to conduct
engineering activities for projects in their product line from
estimate, to order, to delivery. This position requires the ability
to perform independent research into new applications or improved
techniques of design or manufacturing. This position also requires
a thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements as they impinge on
the product design, manufacture, and utilization by the end
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze customer specifications to determine if The Greenbrier
Companies can design and manufacture a product to meet those
- Prepare estimate documents such as car specifications,
alternates, manpower estimates.
- Meet with customers to define product requirements and to
describe our product features.
- Work closely with customers to determine their product
requirements, improve reliability, product loading or unloading,
- Research material and commodity compatibility.
- Compile engineering data and conduct analyses to resolve
problems in manufacturing, material behavior, service life
- Work closely with manufacturing personnel to reduce scrap,
labor inefficiency, improve process yield, etc. Utilize Lean and
design for cost reduction techniques. Recommend design changes to
improve quality, performance and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Utilize CAD to develop models and drawing package required to
fabricate the parts and assemble them into a completed
- Guide the work of designers as required, to complete the
- Be knowledgeable of the AAR and FRA regulatory requirements
that impact the design of the product.
- Work closely with suppliers to approve their product's
application to our design.
- Be knowledgeable of the quality assurance plan requirements as
it pertains to engineering.
- May functionally direct designers on assigned projects.
- Assist in training of designers and engineers as directed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3 years of relevant experience or 10 years equivalent
- Office environment
- Periodic, but infrequent travel
- Periodic, but infrequent plant environment
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected
Keywords: Greenbrier, Saint Charles , Design Engineer, Other , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!