Dog Trainer Apprentice
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together
to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The Dog Training Apprentice position is a combination of a store
partner role while completing the Dog Training Instructor Program
(DTIP) to become a Petco certified Positive Dog Trainer. As the Dog
Training Apprentice, you must follow Petco's Positive Dog Training
curriculums and methodologies. You must be committed to and show
genuine interest in enhancing communication and teamwork between
dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding
success while providing a fun and safe environment for dogs, pet
parents and store partners.
What you'll do:
Provide pet parents with exceptional dog training instruction
and customer service by acting as a subject matter expert for
Petco's Positive Dog Training Program products, services and
in-store promotions, to our canine pet friends and their pet
parents, helping them strengthen their bond through fun and
educational training. A Dog Training Apprentice will be a resource
in the store regarding Petco's Positive Dog Training Program and
assist in the achievement of the store's budgeted sales goals by
driving sales, while educating and engaging all store partners.
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following
duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable
- Upon hiring, must successfully complete (within established
timeline) Petco's Dog Training Instructor Program course and
associated Petco onboarding.
- Must confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in
Petco's Dog Training Instructor Program upon completion.
- Complete and maintain other MyLearningCenter courses as
- Existing Petco partners must successfully complete (within
established timeline) Dog Training Instructor Program course.
- Must adhere to DTIP training schedule as set forth by Dog
- Reports to an established Petco Positive Dog Trainer Mentor for
all instructional curriculum.
- Learn and apply the positive training philosophies of the Petco
Positive Dog Training Program.
- Through observing and role playing, employ ascertained Dog
Training customer engagement and enrollment skills leading to class
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and
can command attention, establish clear directions and create a
climate that motivates others.
- Must ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents,
customers, dogs and Petco partners.
- Commit to enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and
pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding
- Interact professionally and effectively with all pet parents
and store partners regarding Dog Training or other pet
- Be a Dog Training related resource in store to support
consistent achievement of targeted goals and exhibit the ability to
enlist the aid and support to accomplish common tasks.
- Learn how to promote Dog Training classes with G.U.E.S.T.+
model by engaging pet parents and provide solutions to various
training challenges, and suggest products needed to assist in
solving those issues within established guidelines.
- Become familiar with Dog Trainer tools as defined in
operational guidelines (such as calendars, flyers, business cards,
local store marketing, build an event) and how partners utilize as
part of G.U.E.S.T.+ to drive the Dog Training business.
- Begin forming relationships with store management, store
partners, grooming partners, 3rd party services vendors and local
adoption partners and be familiar with Petco's Think Adoption First
- Be familiar with all new products and services in order to be
able to engage with customers regarding new product and services
features and benefits.
- Learn to set, capture, record and reward Dog Training class
selling targets with all partners and General Manager.
- Understand class scheduling methodology to support all Dog
Training curricula offerings and progression of pet learning.
- Learn how to execute both national and local policies and
procedures related to the delivery of Positive Dog Training classes
with Petco pet parents, including operations, safety, and loss
- Gain full understanding of Dog Training class related materials
and tools available for store order through Online Supply System
and partner with the Dog and Cat Department Manager to ensure all
products are in stock and available in store at all times.
- Learn and begin to employ suggestive enrollment techniques and
how these techniques drive dog training enrollments to meet and
- Become familiar with current store promotions and special
- Understand Dog Trainer responsibilities in maintaining area
cleanliness and equipment per Operational guidelines and Policy and
Procedures. This includes but is not limited to maintaining dog
training barriers, dog training kiosk and associated signage.
- Gain understanding of how the role of Dog Trainer advocates in
own store and local area to consistently represent Petco's positive
atmosphere and culture by positively communicating with dogs, pet
parents, store partners and your community.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although
merchandise stocking and customer carry-outs will require that an
associate leave the store briefly. Position requires bending,
kneeling, lifting (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and standing for
long periods of time. The large majority of this associate's time
will be spent in direct contact with our customers and their dogs.
During Dog Training Instructor Program travel to mentor store may
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected
veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Keywords: PetCo, Saint Charles , Dog Trainer Apprentice, Other , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!