Medical Assistant CMC- Orthopedics
Company: SSM Health Medical Group Business Office
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: July 11, 2019
Role Purpose:--Medical Assistants create a positive patient care
experience by greeting, preparing, exiting and following up with
patients for providers according to established competency
guidelines, policies and procedures. Patient care responsibilities
are provided under the direct supervision of a physician or
designated dependent provider who is given such designation in
writing (i.e. collaborative practice agreement or physician
assistant supervision agreement).--Responsibilities:
- Promoting infection prevention by complying with all policies
for hand hygiene, environmental cleanliness and appropriate
storage. Universal precautions must be understood and
- Performing cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of
instruments, where applicable. Competency verification for
disinfection and sterilization practices will occur upon hire and
no less than annually thereafter------
- Accurate measurement and documentation of vital signs.
Competency verification will occur upon hire and no less than
annually thereafter. Accurately performing and documenting all
point-of-care testing. Competency verification will occur upon hire
and no less than annually thereafter.------
- Dispense oral contract consistent with a physician order.
Initiating physician-approved standing orders for medication
prescription refills, but only for an established patient when the
prescription has no changes to dosage, quantity, frequency or
route. Taking verbal orders for outpatient diagnostic and
therapeutic care, consistent with SSMSTL policy, and only from a
supervising physician or designated dependent provider. Medical
assistants may not accept verbal orders for inpatient diagnostic
and therapeutic care.------
- Accurately entering pended orders in the electronic health
- Accurately document patient information in the electronic
health for diagnostic and therapeutic care. Pended orders must be
reviewed and signed/authorized by the ordering physician or
dependent provider prior to being initiated.
- Administering medications consistent with the SSMSTL Medication
Administration policy. Handling sample medications, where
applicable, consistent with SSMSTL policy and
- Actively participate in all hospital/department education,
training, in-services and huddles to confirm understanding of new
information or changes to established clinical policies and
- Respecting the rights and privacy/confidentiality of patient.
Following patient safety policies and procedures.------
- Address Health Maintenance and Best Practice Alerts, and notify
supervising physicians/providers of such Alerts, when
applicable.---- -- Minimum Qualifications:
- High School or GED plus accredited Medical Assistant education
or a minimum of one year equivalent job experience.
- CMA certification or RMA registration
- Knowledge of basic laboratory equipment, physician office
operations and medical terminology.
- Proficient in various office products and computer
- Minimum of 3 months ambulatory or physician office experience
preferred, to include school externships.Physical
Requirements:--Employees in this position are, or can be, required
to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 20 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 4 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than
6--hours a day
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
Keywords: SSM Health Medical Group Business Office, Saint Charles , Medical Assistant CMC- Orthopedics, Healthcare , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!