RN- First Assistant
Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: May 6, 2022
Call RequirementsProvides direct assistance to surgeons before,
during and after surgical procedures.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Positions patient to give best exposure for surgical procedure,
using stabilizing equipment when necessary, while maximizing
patient comfort and safety.
- Implements physicians orders to provide visualization of the
operative site using appropriate method, including manipulation of
tissue and materials, retraction, sponging, suctioning and
- Utilizes appropriate technique to achieve temporary and
- Assists with body plane closure, application of wound dressings
and securing of drainage systems.
- Applies the existing body of evidence-based practice and
scientific knowledge in health care to nursing practice, ensuring
that nursing care is delivered based on patient's age-specific
needs and clinical needs as described in the department's Scope of
- As an SSM Health nurse, I will demonstrate the professional
nursing standards defined in the professional practice model. -
Uses the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses to guide his/her response to
the current and evolving health and nursing needs of our patients
and our patient populations.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned. EDUCATION
- Effective January 1, 2020, the education level for entry into
an RNFA program and, subsequently, RNFA practice will be the
baccalaureate degree. AORN recommends that RNs who were practicing
as RNFAs prior to January 1, 2020, who do not have a baccalaureate
degree be permitted to continue to practice as RNFAs EXPERIENCE
- Two years' registered nurse experience in an advanced surgical
specialty PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Constant use of speech to share information through oral
- Constant standing and walking.
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing
- Frequent sitting, reaching and keyboard use/data entry.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near
(20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and
- Frequent use of smell to detect/recognize odors.
- Frequent use of hearing to receive oral communication,
distinguish body sounds and/or hear alarms, malfunctioning
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects
weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Occasional lifting/moving of patients.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting,
gripping and repetitive foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Occasional driving.
- Rare crawling and running.
Keywords: SSM Health, Saint Charles , RN- First Assistant, Healthcare , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!