Engineering & Maintenance Manager (Located in Columbus, GA)
Company: Ensign-Bickford Industries
Location: Saint Charles
Posted on: January 26, 2023
This opportunity is located within our AFB International
business, the global science and technology leader in pet food
palatability. We develop and produce a full range of liquid and dry
palatability enhancers using high-quality ingredients proven to
optimize companion animal response and consumption. Job
DescriptionThe Engineering and Maintenance Manager is responsible
for coordinating and executing activities to maintain all process
and production equipment and plant facilities for safe and
efficient operations of the plant. Performs capital planning, as
well as engineering and technical support for operations and
maintenance at the facility level.Responsible for managing the
maintenance staff, the local engineering staff, plant projects, and
outside contractors as necessary for the safe and efficient
operations of the plant.A strong collaborator, the Engineering &
Maintenance Manager is charged with maintaining and improving
teamwork and morale in a union production environment, ensuring
that results are delivered without sacrificing safety, quality, or
teamwork.Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the
following. Other duties may be assigned.
- All functions are performed with employee and contractor safety
as the number one priority.
- Provide leadership, direction, and supervision for the
- Manage and maintain plant maintenance and engineering
- Provides technical support to the plant.
- Provide technical support for facility infrastructures
including developing and executing building and utility maintenance
and repair solutions.
- Investigate production issues (product delivery, quality,
reliability, efficiencies) including leading cross-functional
process improvement efforts, determining root cause of issues, and
developing and implementing corrective actions.
- Support and sometimes develops/modifies the preventative
maintenance program and service contracts.
- Ensure equipment is designed and maintained to produce safe
food products for our customers and a safe work environment for our
- Lead and develop engineering assessments for new products,
business opportunities, and support of ongoing production
- Includes economic project analysis (including production
assumptions), equipment and system design, equipment and facility
layouts, feasibility planning, equipment sourcing, and capital
- Execute capital plans and implement projects accordingly.
- Post project approval activities include equipment purchase,
coordination and supervision of installation, project cost tracking
and control, equipment and system start-up, personnel training, and
- Expense budget.
- Source, authorize purchase, and order site specific supplies
and materials as needed to support production operations.
- Track expenditures against budget and manage spending in
accordance with available funds.
- Accountable for the plant engineering and maintenance budget
including the effective implementation of CAR's.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may
improve operations and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and
regulations to ensure plant safety and a safe environment and
culture for all plant associates.
- Writes and reviews job work orders, evaluates alternatives,
prioritizes and schedules repair and execution to ensure continuous
production operations in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Follows-up to ensure repairs are completed in a timely manner and
are producing acceptable results.
- Responsible for executing preventative maintenance program in
conjunction with support staff and personnel, including maintaining
the spare parts inventory.
- Provide technical troubleshooting as required to support
ongoing plant operations.
- Travel up to 10%.
- Schedule: This is a 24/5 production facility. The Engineering
and Maintenance Manager is expected to be on site during normal
business working hours and available to work evenings or weekends
as required for project or maintenance activity. The Engineering
and Maintenance Manager is expected to be on call and available to
assist with after-hours situations as required.Supervisory
- Supervise the Plant Process Engineer and Facility Maintenance
team. QualificationsTo perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical
Engineering or related field.
- Six (6) or more years' related experience, with at least two
(2) years progressive experience in maintenance/engineering
management in a manufacturing facility.
- Prior experience in kaizen, operational excellence, Lean/Six
Sigma, or business operating systems with heavy process
orientation. Demonstrated ability to drive and execute process
improvement and project execution.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or related
- 10 years of direct industry experience in
food/pharmaceutical/flavor/feed manufacturing or processing
- Lean/6 Sigma certified (green/black belt).
- Experience in a SQF certified manufacturing environment
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesTo perform this job successfully, an
individual must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Leadership skills necessary to provide effective performance
management of the engineering and maintenance staff at the
- Professional skills and competencies necessary to recruit and
hire highly qualified and capable staff for the engineering and
maintenance department at the plant.
- Financial skills necessary to manage large budgets and
- Interpersonal and communications skills necessary to engage in
and deliver meaningful and constructive communications across a
wide range of audiences from entry level production operators all
the way to the board of directors.
- Computer skills should include but not limited to: MS Office
products, Visio, MS Project, MMS systems, ERP systems,
understanding of basic networking principles and set ups,
Understanding of Controls Systems and basic ladder logic
- Operator skills to operate a variety of Powered Industrial
Trucks, and a familiarity with equipment operation is a plus as
- Technical writing skills and skills in the presentation of
technical information, for effective delivery of complex
information to audiences of technical, professional, and
layman.Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing
the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit,
stand, and walk. The employee may be required to climb ladders or
stairs, stoop, kneel, bend over, crouch, or crawl, hear and smell,
and use hands and fingers to feel, grasp, or touch. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.Work
EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. The primary working environment will be in an
office with moderate noise and air-conditioned space. Requirements
for the position will require and include routine exposure to a
plant environment with the associated noise, heat, moving parts,
potential risk of electrical shock and vibration, and other factors
associated with a manufacturing operation.*This job will be located
in Columbus, GA, and will start in 2024*Don't meet every single
requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are
less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single
qualification. At AFB International, we are dedicated to building a
diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited
about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly
with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you
to apply anyway! You may just be the right candidate for this role
or other roles!AFB International is an Equal Opportunity Employer
(EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without
regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, sexual
orientation, genetic information, national origin, or veteran
Keywords: Ensign-Bickford Industries, Saint Charles , Engineering & Maintenance Manager (Located in Columbus, GA), Engineering , Saint Charles, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!